If you think you know the print quality fused filament fabrication is capable of, wait until you see the Ultimaker S5 in action.
The S5 is Ultimaker’s top-of-the-range 3D printer with a bigger build volume than the Ultimaker 3 and superior mechanical components. It is engineered to print reliably at scale with a dual extrusion setup: one extruder is dedicated to printing build material; the other a support material such as soluble PVA.
The dual extrusion build volume is up to 197 x 215 x 200 mm (7.8 x 8.5 x 7.9 inches) and you can print down to a 20-micron (0.001 inch) layer resolution. The printer automatically recognises which materials and print cores are loaded and applies the correct settings for these, bringing automation to the 3D printing experience.
Because the S5 can print the complete Ultimaker materials catalogue (PLA, Tough PLA, ABS, Nylon, CPE, CPE+, PC, PP, TPU 95A, PVA, Breakaway) the potential applications are enormous. From manufacturing rubber-like caster wheels to snap-fit grommets, electronics casings and toys, the S5 is capable of making it.
By combining dual extrusion, advanced connectivity and an open filament system, you get a complete 3D printing experience out of the box.
The S5 Pro Bundle
On its own, the Ultimaker S5 is a powerful manufacturing tool. But what if we could make the experience of using it even better?
That’s where the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle comes in.
The S5 Pro Bundle transforms the Ultimaker S5 into an even more powerful machine — one capable of fully automating your small series production.
It achieves this with two additional pieces of equipment:
1. Air Manager
2. Material Station
Here’s everything you need to know about these:
What does it do? It filters UFPs and helps regulate the build chamber.
The Air Manager sits atop of the Ultimaker S5 and provides an optimised environment for external airflow. It can filter up to 95% of ultrafine particles with inside-out airflow so extraction also optimises air flow to the build chamber. This provides a more stable build environment for higher-quality prints.
In addition to filtering ultrafine particles, the Air Manager has a smart monitoring feature which keeps track of filter usage and emission capture. It also has material detection so it can optimise airflow for each filament type.
What does it do? It enables uninterrupted printing with automated material switching.
The Material Station is humidity controlled and sits beneath the Ultimaker S5. It holds 6 additional filament spools to extend the amount of time between changes. The S5 cycles through each spool itself with each spool connected to the printer via a feeder system. This automates the process of material swapping until the 6 spools run out.
This can also be a useful way to store a batch of different materials. Thanks to NFC, the Material Station recognises which materials are which, so communicates with the S5 to give it the material it asks for.
By adding these two additional pieces of equipment to your Ultimaker S5 setup, you can unlock 24/7 productivity and achieve better 3D printing results. Thanks to its UFP filter, the Air Station also increases the number of places you can situate your printer, with it able to operate in places without good ventilation, such as classrooms.
Ultimaker S5 specs:
– Technology: Fused filament fabrication (FFF)
– Print head: Dual extrusion print head with a unique auto-nozzle lifting system and swappable print cores
– Build volume XYZ: 330 x 240 x 300 mm (left or right nozzle, or dual extrusion)
– Filament diameter: 2.85 mm
– Layer resolution: 0.25 mm nozzle: 150 – 60-micron, 0.4 mm nozzle: 200 – 20 micron, 0.6 mm nozzle: 300 – 20 micron, 0.8 mm nozzle: 600 – 20 micron
– XYZ resolution: 6.9, 6.9, 2.5 micron
– Build speed: < 24 mm3/s
– Build plate: Heated glass build plate
– Build plate temperature: 20 – 140 °C
– Build plate levelling: Active levelling
– Build plate heat up time: < 4 min (from 20 to 60 °C)
– Supported materials: Optimised for PLA, Tough PLA, ABS, Nylon, CPE, CPE+, PC, PP, TPU 95A, PVA, Breakaway (Also supports third-party materials)
– Feeder type: Dual-geared, abrasion-resistant (ready for composite materials)
– Nozzle diameter: 0.25 mm, 0.4 mm, 0.6 mm, 0.8 mm
– Nozzle temperature: 180 – 280 °C
– Nozzle heat up time: < 2 min
– Operating sound: < 50 dBA
– Material recognition: Auto-recognition with NFC scanner
– Connectivity: Wi-Fi, LAN, USB port
– Display 4.7-inch: (11.9 cm) colour touchscreen
– Monitoring: Live camera (view from desktop or Ultimaker app)
You can find out more about the Ultimaker S5 here, the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle here, the Ultimaker Air Manager here and the Ultimaker Material Station here. The Air Manager and Material Station are also available for purchase separately from us.